There are many types of Exercises, depending on your physical condition and what you want to achieve with it. High-intensity exercises like HIIT or quieter exercises like walking. But only one has all the necessary qualities to practice it throughout life, and that is the yoga. And be careful, we don’t say it, the university Harvard through his School of Public Health.
He yoga It is a discipline that improves your cardiovascular health, delays the aging process, gives health to the body and also helps you fight it Fear, sleep disorders and depression. In addition, Harvard wanted to highlight one of yoga’s tools as one of the most beneficial for the body. This is abdominal breathing, which is particularly beneficial for improving your mental health.
Table of Contents
What is abdominal breathing and what are its benefits?
Abdominal breathing, also called abdominal breathing Diaphragmatic or deep breathing, plays a very important role in yoga practice and has great health benefits. To do it correctly, you must consciously direct your breathing towards the body abdomen, expand the diaphragm as you inhale and contract it as you exhale. If you stop for a moment, you will see the big difference between this type of breathing and the one we normally use. flatter and faster. These are the advantages, say the experts at Yoga studio.
Belly breathing calms you down nervous system and reduces the stress reaction. When we take a deep breath and fill everything in lung By supplying air, we signal to our brain that it is time to relax, while also sending signals to the entire body to reduce air intake Stress in the body.
2. Activate blood circulation
By breathing and filling our entire cavity with air, we pump out a greater amount of it Blood in our heartswhich nourishes cells and organs, improves vitality and physical performance. In addition, our heart is strengthened and we help keep the blood in our body clean.
3. Strengthens the lungs
While breathing with Membrane, Not only do we receive better oxygenation, but we also increase the capacity and resistance of our muscles. lung by using them fully.
4. Improves the functioning of the digestive system
We also reduce this with good diaphragmatic breathing inflammation of the organism that will affect us Cardiovascular health and in the state of our metabolism.
5. Improve posture
Finally, when we breathe with it Membrane, Our body stretches and improves our posture on its own as the same movement leads to ours back It really arches and our shoulders take on a more suitable position for us.
Reasons Harvard Recommends Practicing Yoga for Life
As those who understand this practice assure, the yoga Not only does it help relieve stress, but it also promotes strength, balance, flexibility and overall health, regardless of age. The specialists of the Harvard University They emphasize that this form of training works on several systems of your body at the same time and offers you a number of benefits:
1. Back pain relief
Yoga confronts and reduces Lower back pain significant and can even provide relief from back pain. arthritis. This has several reasons:
- Muscle strengthening. Many attitudes of yoga The core, back and leg muscles are stressed. By strengthening these muscles, you can improve muscle support Spine and surrounding structures, which can relieve pressure and reduce lower back pain.
- Flexibility and freedom of movement. Yoga encompasses a variety of strain and movements that can improve muscle and joint flexibility. Increase the flexibility can reduce stiffness and improve mobility in the lower back, which in turn can relieve pain.
- Improving posture. Yoga gives courage Body awareness and the correct orientation. By developing better posture, you can reduce the strain on your lower back Relieve pressure on the vertebrae and intervertebral discs.
2. Diabetes control
Helps reduce the need for medication diabetes up to 40%, revealing its potential in the treatment of this disease. It has been observed that the regular exercise of yoga improves insulin sensitivity, which facilitates the entry of glucose into cells and lowers blood sugar levels. blood sugar. In addition, chronic stress can be caused by the release of hormones such as: B. lead to an increase in blood sugar levels Cortisol and adrenaline. Because yoga helps reduce stress and anxiety, it also helps keep blood sugar levels more stable.
3. Strengthening the immune system
The movement and stretching of yoga can help stimulate the muscles Lymphatic systemwhich plays a crucial role in eliminating Toxins and body waste. In addition, it also improves lymphatic circulation, which in turn contributes to this an immune response more efficient. Not to mention, by improving circulatory and respiratory function, our cells are well supplied with oxygen, which also strengthens the body’s immune function.
4. Genetic stimulation
assets health-promoting genes, a reaction evident even in those who are taking their first steps in this practice. This Harvard claim is based on research by Epigenetics which suggest that certain practices such as yoga can influence gene expression and promote the body’s health.
5. Mental well-being
Yoga helps reduce Depression, chronic pain and even improve symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), providing valuable mental health relief. This has several reasons:
- Relaxation techniques: The practice of yoga involves certain relaxation techniques such as abdominal breathing and meditation that help reduce stress and anxiety.
- Full attention: This sport tries to focus on the present moment, the so-called here and now, which can reduce worries about the past or fear about the future.
- Emotional balance: The postures, breathing, and meditation in yoga can affect the neuroendocrine and nervous systems associated with emotions.
- Improved sleep quality: Yoga practice helps improve sleep quality by reducing stress and promoting relaxation. Good sleep is essential for mental and emotional well-being.
- Stimulating the production of positive brain chemicals: Yoga can increase the production of neurotransmitters such as serotonin, which is linked to a positive mood and a sense of well-being.
6. Balance and fall prevention
Not only does it help reduce risk Falls, but also plays a role in restoring balance after a trip. Yoga promotes a increased body awareness and a mind-body connection that can help improve stability and balance. In addition, the practice of yoga constantly presents people with challenges Body perception In space. This helps develop a better sense of proprioception, the body’s ability to sense its position and movement.