There are times when you are short of breath, especially at night for several reasons. There are various causes that affect the lungs or the heart including asthma, allergies, or anxiety. Those with obstructive sleep, asthma, or other similar conditions frequently experience nighttime awakenings, thereby leading to feelings of tiredness during the day. This will ultimately affect your daily routine in a way that may cause trouble at work and personal life as well. So, what is the solution, you may ask? The answer to the question is managing respiratory issues through lifestyle changes, breathing techniques, and herbal remedies.
Enlisted below are some tips advised by experts to manage respiratory issues and get proper sleep:
- Maintain a Healthy DietA healthy and balanced diet rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins is the most important element to keep your lungs healthy. Therefore, it is advisable to ensure a balanced intake of protein, carbohydrates, fibres, fats, vitamins, and minerals and breathe well.
- Stay HydratedThose dealing with lung disorders should drink more water as it makes it easier to breathe by thinning the mucus created by the lungs. Moreover, it cleanses the entire respiratory system and leaves the individual with more oxygen in the body.
- Regular ExerciseTo increase your lung capacity and help you breathe better, daily physical exercises are a must. Activities including brisk walking, Yoga, and swimming can be beneficial for your lung health whereas aerobic exercises have also proven to be quite effective.
- Breathing ExercisesBreathing in deeply through the abdomen and techniques like pursed-lip breathing and diaphragmatic breathing can be highly effective in managing one’s breathlessness. However, it needs to be kept in mind that there are some risks associated with deep breathing.
- Steam InhalationInhaling steam from a bowl of hot water can help relieve nasal congestion as it keeps a person’s nasal passages clear, thereby reducing breathlessness. Heat and moisture from steam also help in breaking down mucus in the lungs.
- Herbal TeasCertain herbal teas like ginger, liquorice root, and thyme can soothe the respiratory system. This will help you breathe without any inconvenience.
- Avoid Smoke and PollutantsThe quality outdoors is worsening day by day. Try to stay indoors as much as possible. Additionally, avoid smoking and other irritants that can worsen respiratory issues. Besides, ensure that you are not smoking passively.