Her upcoming documentary "My Mind and Me” is all set to share never-before-never-heard details of her struggles with mental health.
Table of Contents
“I'm grateful to be alive", Gomez says in the trailer, which dropped on YouTube earlier this week. “Let me make a promise, I am going to stop living like this. How do I learn how to breathe my breath again?” she says.
She then said she had attended therapies and counseling programmes to manage anxiety, panic attacks, and depression.
Two years back, Selena said she was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, a condition she said did not scare her. “I am happier, and I am in control of my emotions and thoughts more than I have ever been,” she says in one of the clips of the trailer.
What are panic attacks?
According to Healthline, panic attacks are not just scary but can disorient a person. A panic attack involves sudden and overwhelming fear, accompanied by a racing heart and breathlessness.
Panic attacks are usually caused by stress or an existing mental health condition or are triggered by the memory of a past discomforting incident.
A few signs and symptoms of panic attacks are:
- A feeling of sudden weakness and dizziness
- Numbness in hands and feet
- A feeling of doom and death
- Fear of control
- Shaking and trembling with an unknown fear
- Hot flashes
- Nausea and vomiting
- Cramps in the stomach
- Body aches
How to manage a panic attack
Here are the following steps you should follow when going through a panic attack:
- Take deep breaths: Deep breathing helps in controlling your feelings of fear and stress. Concentrate on each breath and try to relax your nerves.
Focus: According to Medical News Today, when a person becomes overwhelmed with distressing thoughts, feelings, or memories, concentrating on something physical in the environment can help them feel grounded. Focusing on one stimulus can reduce other stimuli.
- Take a walk and do some light exercises: Walking helps a person to get over a stressful environment and regulate breathing.
- Try reverse counting: Since the intensity of anxiety is too much, one may feel detached from reality, and hence reverse counting can help achieve calm and the mind will relax.
- Smell some soothing scent: According to mental health experts, a soothing scent can help relieve anxiety by tapping into the senses, helping the person stay grounded, and giving them something to focus on.
Disclaimer: Tips and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purposes only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or a dietician before starting any fitness programme or making any changes to your diet.