Ms. KG Stiles
- Health Mastery Systems DBA Pure Plant Essentials
1654 Peachy Road
Ashland, OR 97520
- [email protected]
- Issuing Office:
- Center for Drug Evaluation and Research | CDER
Date: April 1, 2020
RE: Unapproved and Misbranded Products Related to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
This is to advise you that the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) reviewed your website at the Internet address www.pureplantessentials.com on March 17, 2020 and March 30, 2020, respectively. We also reviewed your social media websites at www.instagram.com/pureplantessentials and www.facebook.com/kgstileshealthmastery, where you direct consumers to your website, www.pureplantessentials.com, to purchase your products. The FDA has determined that your website offers essential oil products for sale in the United States and that these products are intended to mitigate, prevent, treat, cure or diagnose COVID-19 in people. FDA has determined that these products are unapproved new drugs sold in violation of section 505(a) of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FD&C Act), 21 U.S.C. § 355(a). Furthermore, these products are misbranded drugs under section 502 of the FD&C Act, 21 U.S.C. § 352. The introduction or delivery for introduction of these products into interstate commerce is prohibited under sections 301(a) and (d) of the FD&C Act, 21 U.S.C. § 331(a) and (d).
There is currently a global outbreak of respiratory disease caused by a novel coronavirus that has been named “severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2” (SARS-CoV-2). The disease caused by the virus has been named “Coronavirus Disease 2019” (COVID-19). On January 31, 2020, the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) issued a declaration of a public health emergency related to COVID-19 and mobilized the Operating Divisions of HHS. In addition, on March 13, 2020, the President declared a national emergency in response to COVID-19. Therefore, FDA is taking urgent measures to protect consumers from certain products that, without approval or authorization by FDA, claim to mitigate, prevent, treat, diagnose, or cure COVID-19 in people. As described below, you sell products that are intended to mitigate, prevent, treat, diagnose or cure COVID-19 in people. We request that you take immediate action to cease the sale of such unapproved and unauthorized products for the mitigation, prevention, treatment, diagnosis, or cure of COVID-19.
Some examples of the claims on your websites that establish the intended use of your products and misleadingly represent them as safe and/or effective for the treatment or prevention of COVID-19 include:
- “RESEARCH ESSENTIAL OILS RESPIRATORY INFECTIONS – SOOTHING SUPPORT FOR CORONA VIRUS SYMPTOMS – RESPIRATORY FORMULA . . . Essential oils, because of their volatility, can easily pass through the respiratory system and reach both the upper and lower parts of the respiratory tract via inhalation . . . You can use steam to effectively soothe cold or flu symptoms, like sore throats, nasal congestion, or other respiratory symptoms. Corona virus symptoms of cough, fever and breathing issues may benefit from a respiratory steam and provide comfort and support during the illness. A respiratory steam works by trapping the essential oil vapors in hot water and delivering them to provide soothing support to the respiratory system. . . . Tags: essential oil corona virus symptoms essential oil to use for corona virus symtoms[sic] essential oils corona virus . . .” [from your website www.pureplantessentials.com]
- “CORONA VIRUS COVID-19 SAFETY TIPS +PLUS SANITIZER EO RECIPE . . . A 2014 study showed the antiviral efficacy and mechanisms of action of oregano oil . . . Tags: Corona virus essential oil hand sanitizer recipe . . . essential oils to prevent infections COVID-19 essential oils to use for Corona virus . . . best anti virus essential oils . . .” [from your website www.pureplanetessentials.com]
- “#coronavirus #covid #prevention #preventativehealth #symptoms #essentialoil #aromatherapy . . . PUREPLANETESSENTIALS.COM . . . Corona Virus COVID-19 Safety Tips +Plus Hand Sanitizer EO Recipe [from a March 2020 post on your Social Media website www.facebook.com/kgstileshealthmastery]
- “ESSENTIAL OIL RESPIRATORY FORMULA – Soothing Support for Symptoms like Corona Virus . . . #respiratory #infection #essentialoils #disease #prevention #natural healing . .. PUREPLANETESSENTIALS.COM . . . Research Essential Oils Respiratory Infections – Soothing Support for Corona Virus Symptoms – Respiratory Formula.” [from a March 2020 post on your Social Media website www.facebook.com/kgstileshealthmastery]
You should take immediate action to correct the violations cited in this letter. The violations cited in this letter are not meant to be an all-inclusive list of violations that exist in connection with your products or operations. It is your responsibility to ensure that the products you sell are in compliance with the FD&C Act and FDA's implementing regulations. We advise you to review your websites, product labels, and other labeling and promotional materials to ensure that you are not representing your products for a COVID-19 related use for which they have not been approved by FDA and that you do not make claims that misbrand the products in violation of the FD&C Act. Within 48 hours, please send an email to [email protected] describing the specific steps you have taken to correct these violations. Include an explanation of each step being taken to prevent the recurrence of violations, as well as copies of related documentation. Failure to immediately correct the violations cited in this letter may result in legal action, including, without limitation, seizure and injunction.
FDA is advising consumers not to purchase or use certain products that have not been approved, cleared, or authorized by FDA and that are being misleadingly represented as safe and/or effective for the treatment or prevention of COVID-19. Your firm will be added to a published list on FDA’s website of firms and websites that have received warning letters from FDA concerning the sale or distribution of COVID-19 related products in violation of the FD&C Act. This list can be found at www.fda.gov/consumers/health-fraud-scams/fraudulent-coronavirus-disease-covid-19-products. Once you have taken corrective actions to cease the sale of your unapproved and unauthorized products for the mitigation, prevention, treatment, diagnosis, or cure of COVID-19, and such actions have been confirmed by the FDA, the published list will be updated to indicate that your firm has taken appropriate corrective action.
If you cannot complete corrective action within 48 hours, state the reason for the delay and the time within which you will complete the corrections. If you believe that your products are not in violation of the FD&C Act, include your reasoning and any supporting information for our consideration.
If you are not located in the United States, please note that products that appear to be misbranded or unapproved new drugs are subject to detention and refusal of admission if they are offered for importation into the United States. We may advise the appropriate regulatory officials in the country from which you operate that FDA considers your product(s) referenced above to be unapproved and misbranded products that cannot be legally sold to consumers in the United States.
Please direct any inquiries to FDA at [email protected].
In addition, it is unlawful under the FTC Act, 15 U.S.C. 41 et seq., to advertise that a product can prevent, treat, or cure human disease unless you possess competent and reliable scientific evidence, including, when appropriate, well-controlled human clinical studies, substantiating that the claims are true at the time they are made. For COVID-19, no such study is currently known to exist for the products identified above. Thus, any coronavirus-related prevention or treatment claims regarding such product are not supported by competent and reliable scientific evidence. You must immediately cease making all such claims. Violations of the FTC Act may result in legal action seeking a Federal District Court injunction and an order may require that you pay back money to consumers. Within 48 hours, please send an email to Richard Cleland, Assistant Director of the FTC’s Division of Advertising Practices, via electronic mail at [email protected] describing the specific actions you have taken to address the FTC’s concerns. If you have any questions regarding compliance with the FTC Act, please contact Mr. Cleland at 202-326-3088.
Donald D. Ashley
Office of Compliance
Center for Drug Evaluation and Research
Food and Drug Administration
Richard A. Quaresima
Acting Associate Director
Division of Advertising Practices
Federal Trade Commission
 As explained in the next paragraph, there is currently an outbreak of a respiratory disease named “Coronavirus Disease 2019” (COVID-19).
 Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex M Azar, Determination that a Public Health Emergency Exists. Jan. 31, 2020. (Accessible at www.phe.gov/emergency/news/healthactions/phe/Pages/2019-nCoV.aspx).
 President Donald J. Trump, Proclamation on Declaring a National Emergency Concerning the Novel Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19). Mar. 13, 2020. (Accessible at www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/proclamation-declaring-national-emergency-concerning-novel-coronavirus-disease-covid-19-outbreak/).