A phobia is an anxiety disorder involving excessive and persistent fear of a situation or object. Exposure to the source of the fear triggers an immediate anxiety response.
Most specific phobias fall into one of four major categories:
- Fears of the natural environment
- Fears related to animals
- Fear related to medical treatments or issues
- Fears related to specific situations
Phobia of the Day: Heliophobia is a specific type of phobia that refers to an intense fear of the sun or sunlight or any kind of bright light.
There are different symptoms related to Heliophobia depending upon the severity of the conditions as well as the particular individual. Some of the important symptoms which are usually shown in this condition include the following:
- A feeling of being uncomfortable, shaky, or numb while in some cases, nausea and vomiting tendencies are common.
- Anxiety and panic attacks are considered severe symptoms which need proper medical attention and care.
- Abnormal senses, lack of concentration, palpitations, faster breathing, and fear of being trapped
- Panic as well as fear of getting exposed to the sunlight.
- The severe sensation of burning skin in sunlight may also be felt while the skin is not actually getting burnt.
SELF-CARE TIPS FOR PHOBIAS THAT BRING ON ANXIETY
- Talk to someone you trust.
- Learn to manage panic and anxiety.
- Look into joining a support group.
- Use self-help resources.
- Take a course for your specific phobia.
RECENT PHOBIA WORD POSTS:
Do you have a phobia you suffer from that you’d like to share?