Septic shock is a life-threatening drop in blood pressure caused by an infection.
This is a progressive form of sepsis that can damage the lungs, kidneys, liver and other organs and can be fatal.
Any type of bacteria can cause the condition, and it becomes more dangerous the longer it is left untreated.
According to the NHS, you may initially experience weakness, chills and an accelerated heart rate and breathing.
Sweating for no apparent reason, chills, and a change in mental status are also common signs of sepsis.
However, once the toxins damage the small blood vessels and fluid leaks into the surrounding tissues, it can affect your heart’s ability to pump blood.
If the blood doesn’t reach your vital organs like the brain and liver, it can result in death.
For some people, this can be very obvious and they will feel visibly uncomfortable.
For others, however, the signs of septic shock can be difficult to spot.
However, there are some behaviors that might indicate you are at risk.
These include some that are most noticeable in the morning, such as difficulty getting up from bed or dizziness.
This can be especially noticeable when you first wake up or get dressed.
In general, the most common symptoms of septic shock are:
- Not being able to get up
- dizziness or lightheadedness
- Severe sleepiness or difficulty staying awake
- A significant change in mental status, such as B. extreme confusion or disorientation
- nausea and vomiting
- Cold, damp and pale skin
If you or someone you know is experiencing these symptoms, you should call 999.
This is especially important for newborns, the elderly, pregnant women, people with long-term health problems (like diabetes or kidney failure), and anyone with a compromised immune system (like people with HIV or AIDS, or people receiving chemotherapy). as they are most at risk.
Luckily, once you get medical help, treatments are available to you.
These can include oxygen therapy, IV fluids, medications, antibiotics, and surgery.
The chances of surviving septic shock depend on the cause of the infection, the number of organs that are failing and how quickly treatment is started, the NHS says.
Most people recover from mild sepsis, but the mortality rate from septic shock is about 30 to 40 percent Mayo Clinic.
Potential complications include respiratory failure, heart failure, kidney failure, and abnormal blood clotting.
What is sepsis and septic shock?
SEPSIS is a life-threatening condition that occurs when the body’s response to an infection damages its own tissues and organs.
It occurs when the body’s immune system — which normally helps protect us and fight infection — is running at full steam.
It can lead to shock, multiple organ failure, and sometimes death, especially if not recognized early and treated promptly.
Sepsis is indiscriminate: while it primarily affects very young children and older adults, and is also more common in people with underlying medical conditions, it can sometimes be triggered in otherwise healthy and healthy people.
Sepsis always starts with an infection and can be caused by any infection, including chest infections and urinary tract infections.
It is not known why some people develop sepsis in response to these common infections while others do not.
In the UK, five people die every hour from sepsis.
How to recognize sepsis in adults:
- Slurred speech or confusion
- Extreme chills or muscle pain
- No urination (in one day)
- Severe shortness of breath
- It feels like you’re dying
- Skin blotchy or discolored
How to recognize sepsis in children:
- breathe very fast
- “seizures” or convulsions
- Appears mottled, bluish, or pale
- A rash that doesn’t go away when you press on it
- Very lethargic or difficult to wake up
- Feels unusually cold to the touch
How to recognize sepsis in children under five:
- Do not feed
- Repeated vomiting
- Has not urinated for 12 hours
Source: The British Sepsis Trust