Nangal school gas leak: Several students and teachers of Saint Soldier School in Nangal were hospitalised after they complained of difficulty in breathing following a gas leak in the vicinity.
The affected teachers and students were admitted to the hospital nearby. The source of the gas leak is suspected to be the two large industrial units situated near the school.
While addressing media, school principal said that it was around 7:45 am when students started arriving for the school and complained about the trouble in breathing. The school was immediately closed and all such students were taken to hospital, principal said.
Meanwhile, Preeti Yadav, Dy Commissioner, Rupnagar said, “Students are stable now, the administration is looking into it and will find out exactly what kind of gas leakage is it. Our first priority is to make sure the students don't panic & feel safe.”
Harjot Singh Bains also took to his Twitter handle to tweet about the Nangal gas leak incident
ਨੰਗਲ ਵਿੱਚ ਗੈਸ ਲੀਕ ਹੋਣ ਦੀ ਖ਼ਬਰ ਮਿਲੀ ਹੈ। ਸਾਵਧਾਨੀ ਨੂੰ ਧਿਆਨ ਵਿੱਚ ਰੱਖਦੇ ਹੋਏ ਜਿਲ੍ਹੇ ਦੀਆਂ ਸਾਰੀਆਂ ਐਂਬੂਲੈਂਸਾ ਨੂੰ ਘਟਨਾ ਵਾਲੀ ਜਗ੍ਹਾ ਤੇ ਸਟੇਸ਼ਨ ਕਰਵਾਇਆ ਜਾ ਰਿਹਾ ਹੈ। ਮੈਂ ਆਪਣੇ ਸਾਰੇ ਸ਼ਹਿਰ ਵਾਸੀਆਂ ਦੇ ਦੀ ਸਿਹਤ ਦੀ ਕਾਮਨਾ ਕਰਦਾ ਹਾਂ। ਕਿਸੇ ਨੂੰ ਘਬਰਾਣ ਦੀ ਜ਼ਰੂਰਤ ਨਹੀਂ ਹੈ। ਮੈਂ ਖੁਦ ਵੀ ਜਲਦ ਮੌਕੇ ਤੇ ਪਹੁੰਚ ਰਿਹਾ ਹਾਂ। — Harjot Singh Bains (@harjotbains) May 11, 2023
Earlier, last week 11 people died due to a gas leak in the Giaspura area of Ludhiana, Punjab, while four people fell ill and were hospitalised. The reports say that high levels of hydrogen sulphide gas were detected in the area and a chemical may have reacted with methane in manholes to produce the deadly vapour.
- With inputs from agencies