Proper diaphragmatic breathing can take some time to learn. In the beginning, practice diaphragmatic breathing laying down. Once you've mastered the technique, you can do it just about anywhere.
- Lay on your back on a firm, comfortable surface.
- Bend your knees and put your feet flat on the surface.
- Place one hand on your chest and the other on your belly, below your ribs.
- Breathe in slowly through your nose. Picture your belly filling with air, from the bottom up. Watch your hands as you breathe—only the hand on your belly should rise.
- Purse your lips as if you are blowing out candles and slowly breathe out. Your belly should deflate.