It has been proven that learning Buteyko Breathing techniques can help people:
- cope with panic attacks
- decrease rescue medication
- stop coughing
- sleep better
- breathe through your nose
- reduce hayfever and rhinitis
Initially, the physiotherapist will want to assess you to establish if Hyperventilation Syndrome is your problem before starting your treatment programme.
This will probably include questions about:
- Your symptoms and how they started
- Any triggers you may have
- How your symptoms affect you
- Underlying breathing problems such as asthma
- Any other health conditions
- Your lifestyle
- Observing your breathing and looking for abnormalities.
If a hyperventilation problem or breathing pattern disorder is diagnosed, treatment is likely to include:
- Self-awareness of your breathing pattern
- Giving advice on how to breathe when at rest and exercising
- Teaching breathing exercises for you to practice
- Relaxation techniques if stress is a large factor in disrupting your breathing
- Manual techniques to enable correct movement of the rib cage.