National Family Caregivers Month (November) recognizes and honors those who selflessly care for their loved ones. Being a Veteran’s caregiver can take a toll on your physical and mental health. One way that VA can support you is through Annie text messages.
Annie is a VA messaging service that sends different types of text messages to your phone. Annie’s caregiver support texts are designed with caregivers in mind. The texts can help you to reduce stress, take care of your loved one, and feel cared for and not alone.
The messages include tips and activities to help you reduce your stress in a healthy way. These include breathing exercises and relaxation techniques. Annie also sends motivational messages, so caregivers feel supported.
“Messages remind me to breathe.”
More than 11,000 people are subscribed to Annie for caregivers. Here are some thoughts from Caregivers who took part in recent surveys:
- “I so look forward to Annie. It is a bright spot in my day and helps tremendously.”
- “The messages always come at the times when I need to know I am not alone.”
- “I don’t always know what to do when I’m stressed. Messages calm me down.”
- “These tips and quotes are perfect, help my sanity and remind me to breathe.”
- “I used breathing exercises, those were great. They helped me take time for myself to calm down and breathe, then rethink the situation.”
- “These texts for me were great reminders to take better care of myself and not be too hard on myself. Thank you!”
Being a caregiver can be overwhelming at times, but Annie can help. Caregiver Support Teams are available at each VA medical center to help you find the right support for your needs.
Contact caregiver support to sign up for Annie
If you are a caregiver and want to sign up for Annie, find and contact your local Caregiver Support Team member.
Annie text messages are automated and responses are not regularly checked by VA staff. Caregiver Support Team members cannot exchange text messages with you through Annie.
Many Annie text message subscriptions are designed to help Veterans too. Visit the Annie webpage to learn how the service can help Veterans take charge of their health, one text at a time.
For more resources for caregivers, visit the VA Caregiver Support Program website.