A mum says she’s “terrified” her four-year-old son will die after struggling to breathe in their “mouldy and damp flat.”
Demi Rock, 30, says her son Kyden’s asthma has been made worse by the black mould he's allergic to which covers his family flat in Milton Keynes.
The toddler is covered in painful eczema which doctors say is caused by his poor living conditions, she adds.
Demi said she has pleaded with the council to rehome her from her Grand Union housing association flat but nothing has become available yet.
Demi said: "There’s already been a young child that’s died through living in damp and mouldy conditions. What if my son is next?”
Two-year-old Awaab Ishak was killed in 2020 by mould which riddled his social housing flat, causing respiratory failure.
After the inquest into Awaab's death last November, housing secretary Michael Gove said the tragedy should never have happened and underlined the need to ensure every landlord provides decent accommodation for tenants.
Demi has battled the mould problem in her two-bed flat which she shares with her nine-year-old daughter and Kyden since 2019.
Kyden, who also has Autism and is non-verbal, has been admitted to hospital struggling to breathe on numerous occasions.
Blood tests confirmed that his allergy to the black mould is causing allergic reactions including itching skin, swollen eyes and becoming irritable, disrupting the four-year-old's sleep.
Single mum Demi added: "He is living in an allergy. I'm having to take him to hospital about once a month because he struggles to breathe.”
Demi has a 12-litre dehumidifier which she says fills up hourly, and places three moisture remover pots in each room which can last up to six weeks, but she says fill up in nine days.
She uses bleach and black mould remover on the walls, has her extractor fan on constantly and ventilates the property daily.
Demi, who is disabled herself, says she has complained to Grand Union repeatedly.
Grand Union said in a statement:"Our technical team has visited Mrs Rock each time she has reported a reoccurrence of damp in her home and we have installed additional ventilation, on the advice of a specialist ventilation company, and provided guidance on how to manage moisture."
A council spokesman added: “The council is willing to step in and help housing association tenants in situations like these, but they should first raise their complaint through the Housing Ombudsman.”
Demi is now pursuing a compensation claim for her damaged belongings and expenses incurred by the mouldy property.
She is also considering launching private court action against the council for failing her family under their Disability Act obligations to provide them with a decent and suitable home.