Breathing exercises used in yoga can help reduce period pain, because exhalation can help produce relaxation and reduce tension. Awareness of breathing helps to achieve calmer, slower respiration and aid in relaxation and help with pain management.
Watch the video below and follow the few basic steps to guide you through an abdominal breathing exercise.
- Lay on your back.
- Knees bent.
- Feet hip distance apart.
- Arms at side.
- Soften body into ground.
- Close eyes or soften gaze.
Picture description: Abdominal Breathing - Starting position
- Place hands on the lower belly to feel your breath.
- Elbows and shoulders supported on the ground.
- Notice your breath.
- Draw your focus to the abdominal region.
Picture description: Abdominal Breathing – Inhale breath
On the inhale breath:
- Belly expands and rises up.
On the exhale breath:
- Belly softens and sinks back down.