The NHS has added nine new Covid symptoms to its original official list of three, bringing the total number of symptoms to 12.
The measure has been welcomed by health experts who have long been calling for an expanded list.
One of those pleased to see the revision was Professor Tim Spector, lead scientist of the ZOE Covid Study. But he expressed some disappointment that the NHS had, he said, listed them in the “wrong order”.
What are the new symptoms?
The expanded NHS list adds to the original coronavirus symptoms of:
- a new continuous cough
- loss of sense of smell or taste
Now the list also includes:
- shortness of breath
- feeling tired or exhausted
- aching body
- sore throat
- blocked or runny nose
- loss of appetite
- feeling sick or being sick
What other main symptoms are listed by the World Health Organisation (WHO) and ZOE?
The WHO also includes a rash on the skin, or discolouration of the fingers or toes; red or irritated eyes; loss of speech or mobility or confusion and chest pain.
Here is how it lists coronavirus symptoms:
Most common symptoms:
- loss of taste or smell
Less common symptoms:
- sore throat
- aches and pains
- a rash on the skin, or discolouration of fingers or toes
- red or irritated eyes
- difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
- loss of speech or mobility, or confusion
- chest pain
In the case of serious symptoms the WHO urges people to “seek immediate medical attention”.
Among those on its list and not included on the NHS one are sudden confusion (delirium), especially in older people; skin rash; changes in the mouth or tongue (Covid tongue); red and sore fingers or toes (Covid fingers/toes); shortness of breath; chest pains; hoarse voice; abdominal pains; sneezing.
Here is the ZOE Covid Study list (in order):
- High temperature (fever)
- Chills or shivers
- Persistent cough
- Loss or change in smell (anosmia)
- Loss or change in taste (dysgeusia)
- Unusual tiredness (fatigue)
- Sore throat
- Sudden confusion (delirium), especially in older people
- Skin rash
- Changes in the mouth or tongue (COVID tongue)
- Red and sore fingers or toes (COVID fingers/toes)
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pains
- Muscle pains
- Hoarse voice
- Skipping meals
- Abdominal pains
- Runny nose