Dare County reports most COVID cases since Feb. 2
By Outer Banks Voice on March 17, 2021
The Dare County Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) reported an eye-catching 22 cases of COVID-19 on March 17, the most cases in a single day since February 2.
While there were 10 and 12 cases reported on March 12 and 13, respectively, the 22 cases in a single day certainly seems like an outlier at a time when the state has been reporting in the neighborhood of 30-40 cases in an entire week. Of the 22 new cases, 15 are residents of Dare County and 7 are non-residents and all of them are isolating, either here or in their home counties. Looked at by age group, the most cases (9) involve people ages 50-64.
In more encouraging news, the DHHS also reported that the two Dare County residents who had been hospitalized with COVID are now listed as recovered.
The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services (NCDHHS) reported 1,999 cases of COVID-19 on March 17, with Governor Roy Cooper noting at an afternoon press briefing that “our trends look good.”
Still, there were some words of caution at the briefing about the number of cases from NCDHHS Secretary Mandy Cohen. Cohen noted that while cases had decreased dramatically from earlier this year, in recent days, “the downward trend looks like it is beginning to slow down and plateau.” She also explained that tracking the prevalence of cases has gotten more challenging recently because “there is a lot less testing happening” now.
And both Cohen and Cooper also pointed to the new COVID-19 variants that are currently circulating in the state as adding an element of uncertainty to the pandemic outlook here.
Today’s statewide NC coronavirus numbers
- Total reported NC cases – 889,310
- New cases reported today – 1,999
- Reported deaths – 11,757 (35 more than yesterday)
- Currently hospitalized 1,002 (19 fewer than yesterday)
- Suspected COVID-19 cases hospitalized in past 24 hours – 139 (34 more than yesterday)
- Confirmed COVID-19 case hospitalized in past 24 hours – 125 (34 more than yesterday)
- Adults in ICU with COVID-19 – 245 (14 fewer than yesterday)
- Patients presumed to be recovered – 852,732
- Reported cases in Dare, Currituck and Hyde Counties – 4,930 (Dare 2,875, Currituck 1,413, Hyde 642)
- Completed tests – 10,851,648
- Daily percent positive tests – 5.6%
- Vaccine doses administered – 3,455,805
Note: Every morning, the NC Department of Health and Human Services posts updates the number of reported cases of coronavirus. That number reflects positive results from all tests, including the NC State Laboratory of Public Health and all hospital and commercial labs. There may be other reports, from the media and elsewhere, that will include different numbers during a given day, but this is an effective way of tracking numbers from the same source on a day-to-day basis.
SOURCE: NC DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH