Caleb, seven, went into anaphylactic shock after eating a plate of chips and peas while his family were staying at Haven Holiday Park in Burnham-on-Sea and was rushed to hospital

Celeb, seven, suffered a severe allergic reaction after eating a plate of chips at Haven Holiday Park
Celeb, seven, (pictured with his family) suffered a severe allergic reaction after eating a plate of chips at Haven Holiday Park

A dad has told how his seven-year old-son was rushed to hospital after his face swelled up and he struggled to breathe as he had an allergic reaction to chips served at a Somerset holiday park.

Nathan Morrison said that his son Caleb went into anaphylactic shock in a horrifying ordeal during a stay at Haven Holiday Park in Burnham-on-Sea, with his parents and sister.

He needed an immediate EpiPen injection and urgent medical treatment in hospital after his face began swelling up, reported SomersetLive.

After arriving at the resort's restaurant, the family were told they could scan a QR code and select a meal that was safe for their son, who suffers from a severe shellfish and milk allergy, claimed Mr Morrison.

After ordering what was described as one of the "safest options possible" by Mr Morrison - a plate of chips, peas and Quorn meat - his son, Caleb, began to suffer a reaction to the chips.







Caleb and his family were at the Haven Holiday Park in Burnham-on-Sea when he suffered an allergic reaction
(

Image:

DEVON LIVE/BPM MEDIA)

"Caleb's lips started to swell, and I asked if there was anywhere private I could go to administer the EpiPen," said Mr Morrison.

"We ended up being shown to the disabled toilets where I injected it into his leg on the baby changing bed. My wife ended up having to call an ambulance."

Mr Morrison said that as well as the face swelling, Caleb was having problems with his breathing.

He alleged the ambulance was held at the gates for two to three minutes with its lights flashing before it was allowed entry into the resort - with the length of time denied by Haven Holidays.

"I wasn't even able to leave and follow my son to Taunton's Musgrove Hospital until I had filled out a load of paperwork," he added.

Caleb then went on to suffer a secondary anaphylactic shock in the ambulance and remained overnight in hospital.

A spokesperson for Haven Holidays told SomersetLive: "The ambulance made it through the gates in around nine seconds, as our site manager says the CCTV demonstrates. Furthermore, we would like to clarify that the order of chips was a separate order made to the table, and one of our employees had attempted to intervene."

She added: "The health and safety of our guests is our number one priority and all our employees are allergen trained. In line with our stringent health and safety policies around allergies, our server informed the family prior to their meal that we could not guarantee fried food would be allergen-free.

"Regrettably, a child with allergies ate a portion of chips which the table ordered and had an allergic reaction. The family was provided with medical support straight after the incident."

The Mirror has contacted Haven Holidays for comment.

Read More

Read More



Source link