Below are the nutrition guidelines that can greatly help in cancer prevention:
Acid alkaline environment
A very important aspect of cancer prevention is to understand the acid-alkaline environment of the body which is determined by the pH value. The measurement of the “power of Hydrogen ion” concentration in the body is what pH stands for. The entire pH scale ranges from the values 1 to 14 and 7 is considered to be neutral. A pH value that is less than 7 is considered to be acidic and a pH value more than 7 is alkaline. Our ideal pH should be slightly alkaline - 7.30 to 7.45.
Cancer cells thrive in an acidic environment hence it is very important to consume foods that help to maintain a more alkaline body environment. This can greatly help in prevention of diseases like cancer.
Foods that help to make the body more alkaline
1. Lemon: Lemon acts like a natural detergent of the body. There is confusion for many whether lemon juice is acidic or alkaline. Lemon juice in its original state is acidic with a pH value of around 2, but once metabolized within the body it actually becomes alkaline with a pH well above 7. Lemon also contains Vitamin C; it is a strong antioxidant and helps to improve the immunity of the body. Lemon helps to remove toxins from the system hence early in the morning and post meals a lemon shot is excellent to have.
2. Lemon shot: Squeeze 1 lemon into 1/4th cup of water; add a pinch of turmeric and a pinch of black pepper to improve its efficacy
3. Dry fruits: Raisins, prunes, apricots, figs, blueberries, cranberries, etc. are packed with antioxidants. Dry fruits should be ideally consumed in the morning. They can be soaked for 30 minutes before consuming.
4. Nuts and seeds: Almonds, cashew nuts, walnuts, and pistachios are an excellent source of nutrients to maintain a more alkaline environment.
5. Salads: It is very important to begin any cooked meal with a salad as that opens the pathway for digestion and prevents acidity.
6. Fruits: Fruits are highly alkaline in nature. The timing of the fruit consumption is very important. Fruits take very little time to digest in the body. Hence fruits should be taken either 30 minutes before a cooked meal or 2 hours post a cooked meal.
7. Vegetable juices: Vegetable juices are power packed nutrients. 2- 3 curry leaves, a pinch of turmeric and little ginger can be added for additional benefit.
Dr Nidhi Bajaj Gupta, Physiotherapy Healer, Holistic Wellness Coach and Founder of Merahki Holistic Wellness
*Views and suggestions are sole responsibility of the expert