The human body is designed to release 70% of its toxins through breathing. That means if you are not breathing effectively, you are not properly ridding your body of its toxins. Do you know, breathing also boosts metabolism which in turn leads to weight loss? Wondering how? Deep breathing improves blood circulation by increasing the supply of oxygen in the body. This extra oxygen helps in burning the extra fat deposited in the body and also tones the abdominal muscles. Basically what I am trying to convey is that weight loss doesn’t always require following certain fancy diets and regular visits to a gym. You can achieve the desired body shape through simple deep breathing exercises. So, let’s have a look at some of the best weight-reducing yoga exercises-
Kapalbhati pranayama, one of the best weight-reducing Yoga, helps in reducing fat and blood sugar with a breathing exercise. It increases the metabolic rate rapidly, thus maintains the ideal body weight and flushes away the unwanted belly fat and toxins from the body.
The basic trick behind this exercise is the contraction and relaxation of stomach muscles which increases your lungs capacity and boosts the cardiopulmonary function. When practised daily for a period of time, the results can be seen in as less as 30 days without consuming any supplements.
- Sit comfortably in any meditative posture with your spine erect.
- Close the eyes and relax the whole body.
- Keep the right palm on the right knee and left palm on the left knee.
- Inhale deeply through both nostrils, expand the chest.
- Now exhale forcefully, you will feel your abdomen contracts and go inwards. When you exhale with hissing sound try to think that your disorders are coming out of your nose.
- As you quickly release the contraction, your inhalation should be automatic and passive — your focus should be on exhaling.
- Do not strain.
- Continue active/forceful exhalation and passive inhalation.
- Repeat these steps for 5 minutes and take rest. You can increase the time to 15 – 30 minutes.
# Surya Namaskar (Sun Salutation)
Surya Namaskar, a full-body workout is one of the most wonderful and simple techniques of losing weight. It not only stretches your body but also works on your cardiovascular system along with improving the blood circulation. Doing 12 sets of Surya Namaskar is equal to doing 288 yoga poses.
# Anulom Vilom
Anulom Vilom is probably the easiest and the most effective weight reducing yoga. It is an alternate breathing technique which helps you stay fit and healthy. The regularity in Anulom Vilom exercises helps in balancing hormones, increase energy, reduce weight and control obesity. Practising this breathing exercise keeps your digestive system happy and functional.
- Sit in Padmasana (sitting in a way that legs form a shape like a lotus flower), close your eyes and rest your hands on your knees.
- Now close the right nostril with the right thumb and inhale slowly and steadily through the left nostril and fill up your lungs thoroughly.
- Then block the left nostril with the right ring and middle finger and exhale through the right nostril.
- Now, breathe in from the right nostril and exhale from the left nostril using the same method. This is one round of Anulom Vilom Pranayama.
- Continue doing it for 5-10 minutes, and increase your timing gradually.
- Ensure that your back is straight and shoulders relaxed while you perform the pranayama.
This breathing exercise is the ultimate pranayama for energy and power. While performing Bhastrika Pranayama, you take a deep breath which fills your lungs with oxygen. This boosts your metabolic rate at the cellular level and your body burns fat faster promoting natural weight loss. Enhanced metabolism also helps to remove unwanted fats and toxins.
- Sit in a comfortable position, most preferably cross-legged, with your back and neck straight
- Close your eyes and place your hands on your knees.
- Relax your stomach muscles.
- Keep your mouth closed and focus on breathing through your nose.
- Now breathe as forcefully as comfortable with equal emphasis on the inhalation and exhalation.
- This breathing pattern is faster than your normal breathing pattern, and you should feel your breath while establishing a steady rhythm.
- Your diaphragm should expand and contract in conjunction with your breathing.
- The pace should be about 1 second for inhalation and about the same for exhalation.
- Do 10 repetitions and then inhale completely, hold your breath in for 1-5 seconds and then exhale completely. This completes 1 round.
- Repeat the procedure for 5-10 minutes.
The exhalation in this pranayama resembles the typical humming sound of a bee. These humming sound vibrations have a natural calming effect on the mind and nerves. This pranayama exercise improves metabolism, increases oxygen intake and balances hormone secretion. Bhramari is also believed to help manage thyroid dysfunction symptoms (weight gain is one of them).
- Find a peaceful place and sit in a comfortable position.
- Do not slouch. Keep your spine straight and your shoulders stretched out.
- Open up your palms and close your ears with your thumbs. Place your index fingers on the forehead, right above your eyebrows. Your middle and ring fingers should rest on your closed eyes.
- Breathe in deeply and exhale slowly, keeping your mouth closed. Make a low humming sound from your throat while you breathe out. Your fingers should feel the vibrations of the sound.
- Breathe in again, continue the same pattern 5-6 times and then, keeping your eyes closed, return to your normal breathing.