Anyone who has suffered from conditions like anxiety would only know how overwhelming the feeling is. Anxiety is the way your body responds to negative emotions like stress, fear, or threats.
Occasional anxiety is a part of our natural existence; it might go away as the threat passes. But in case of lingering anxiousness without any apparent reasons, it is important to address the condition immediately, so that it does not turn severe and become a chronic disorder.
So, can anxiety be cured permanently?
Well, even though you might not be able to eradicate anxiety, it can be reduced.
Occasional anxiety is an eminent part of most people’s daily life. It might make a reappearance time and again. However, anxiety disorder is something that one should worry about. It is much more than passing the worry or fear. If you are suffering from an anxiety disorder, you would sense pangs of anxiety frequently, without any reason whatsoever.
If left untreated, an anxiety disorder can turn significantly worse.
Moreover, it is vital to note that, unlike normal anxiety, anxiety disorders do not go away even if the situation changes. Its symptoms can quickly aggravate to such an extent that it becomes really difficult for the person to function normally. But the good news is that there are effective treatments for managing anxiety disorder.
Options for treatment of anxiety disorder include –
● Cognitive Behavioral Therapy – CBT is one of the most effective ways of treating anxiety and improving the quality of life. It is mainly based on the concept that our feelings, thoughts, and behaviors are all related. So, changing the way you think can also change the way you feel, which will, in turn, also change your behavior – this is the primary concept behind CBT.
● Talk Therapy – Also known as psychotherapy, this method involves one-on-one sessions with a therapist, who encourages you to confide and speak about your worries and concerns. Your therapist will try to identify the issues and suggest ways of overcoming them.
● Medicines – In cases when therapy alone is not enough to cope with anxiety, medical practitioners prescribe anti-anxiety medications too. Drugs like benzodiazepines and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) are often combined with therapy to beat anxiety.
You, too, can try out different ways to manage your anxiety. Whenever you feel anxious, you can do the following things –
● Talk to someone whom you trust. Talking your heart out is one of the best ways to relieve yourself from anxiety and calm your mind. Staying socially active is an effective way to lighten the mind.
● If too many expectations are burdening you, and you are feeling anxious because of that, then start saying no.
● Work out regularly or go for long walks. Exercises are excellent in reducing anxiousness.
● Meditation can also help you control your anxiety issues. Practice deep breathing and exercises to calm your mind.
Everyone feels anxious at certain points in time. But the key to managing anxiety is to first identify, if it has become a long-term condition or not.
Stay updated with all the insights.
Navigate news, 1 email day.
Subscribe to Qrius