A normal human breathing involves 20,000 breaths a day. We normally are not conscious about our breathing. Human body has a perfect working system. Our lungs help us with breathing, our heart pumps the blood and stomach digest the food while we are busy in our daily routine lives. Consciousness of body and mind helps us in mindful breathing and meditation.
Table of Contents
Mindful Breathing brings positivity:
Breathing has a positive impact on our mind and body. Taking deep breaths make our mind relaxed and calm. Mindful breathing is conscious sensation of breath coming in and out of the body. Such breathing meditation makes your lungs more efficient to pump the air in and out of your body. Mindful breathing exercises can reduce the risk of getting respiratory diseases.
Benefits of Breathing Exercises:
- Brain Changes: Slow breathing and mindful meditation brings psychological changes in brain and body. Research in 2018 has shown that slow breathing exercises increase heart rate variability and cause improvement in respiratory system activities.
- Diaphragmatic breathing: (breathing technique) is affective against stress and depression. It helps to improve cognitive activities.
- Peace of Mind: Breathing exercises brings peace to mind and body and increases relaxation.
- Reduced Pain: Mindful breathing relieves pain. Research in 2016, has proven that conscious breathing techniques help to reduce pain scores. Medications have their side effects. Conscious breathing helps people to less rely on medicines.
- Brain Chemicals-Cortisol: While busy in our practical lives, we are unaware of psychological changes. When we are under stress, Cortisol chemical is released and its quantity increases. When we are relieved, cortisol decreases and body balance is retained. Over time, need of Cortisol increases. Building cortisol destroys brain cells. Mindful breathing meditation decreases cortisol and activates parasympathetic nervous system.
- Improved Focus and Attention level: We can optimize our focus level while consciously breathing. Synchronous activity of brain and breathing, keeps our mind healthy.
- Conscious breathing improves your power of thinking and heals your mind.
Mindful and conscious breathing provides;
- Reduced negative thoughts
- Reduced stress and pain
- Improved positive emotions
- Improved mental health
- Relaxed sleep
Mindful Breathing Exercises:
Calculating breaths: Set a time limit and count your breaths coming in and out of your body.
Focus on Sensation: Examine rise and fall of your belly and chest with breathing. This is known as belly breathing.
Focus on changes: Examine changes in your breath sequence between one inhale and exhale.
Alternate Nostril Breathing Technique: Block your one nostril and focus on breathing through open nostril.
Examine Quality of Breath: Observe your frequency of breathing. Where it gets slower or faster?