At the Computational Biology Unit, Department of Informatics there is a vacancy for a postdoctoral research fellow position in molecular biology. The laboratory and workplace is at the Sars International Centre for Marine Molecular Biology, a partner of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL). The position is for a fixed term of 3 years and is funded by the Research Council of Norway.
About the project/work tasks:
Post-transcriptional regulation is a major determinant of messenger RNA (mRNA) fate and protein production. This regulation is directed not only by information in the sequence of the mRNAs but also in the post- and co-transcriptional modifications attached to the RNA. In this project, we will use third-generation long-read nanopore sequencing to investigate the role of these RNA modifications on the fate and regulation of mRNA. The candidate will lead the experimental work and collaborate closely with computational biologists who will develop methods and analyze data.
All employees are expected to contribute to excellence through high-quality research and teaching. The working environment for this position will be in the research group led by Eivind Valen, read more here (www.cbu.uib.no/valen/). For more details about the position, please contact [email protected]
Qualifications and personal qualities:
Applicants must hold a Norwegian Ph.D. or an equivalent degree within molecular biology or a related field. PhD-students may apply if the defense of the PhD-thesis is completed by July 1st. It is a condition of employment that the Ph.D. has been awarded.
Experience from high-throughput sequencing is an advantage and in particular nanopore sequencing. Also, experience with RNA biology in general is an advantage.
Applicants must be able to work independently and in a structured manner, and have the ability to cooperate with others.
Applicants must have excellent skills in oral and written English.
Personal and relational qualities will be emphasized. Research experience, ambitions and potential will also count when evaluating the candidates.
We can offer:
- Good welfare benefits
- A good and professionally stimulating working environment
- Salary at pay grade 60 (code 1352 / pay range 24, alternative 4) according to the state salary scale upon appointment. This constitutes a gross annual salary of NOK 535 200. Further promotions are made according to length of service. For particularly highly qualified applicants, a higher salary may be considered.
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
Your application must include:
- A brief account of the applicant's research interests and motivation for applying for the position.
- The names and contact information for two referees. One of these should be the main advisor from the PhD programme.
- Transcripts and diplomas. If you have not yet completed your PhD degree, please submit a statement from your institution confirming the expected date of award of your degree. Your PhD degree must be documented with transcripts and/or diploma, alternatively a confirmation from your institution on completed degree, by 01.07.2021
- Relevant certificates/references
- List of any works of a scientific nature (publication list)
- Publications (as applicable)
How to Apply
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at JobbNorge by 22.03.2021