APPLY HERE: jobs.ucsc.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=72305
Junior Software Engineer at the Genomics Institute at UC Santa Cruz
Starting Salary Range: $31.13-$33.52/hourly
Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
This position is eligible for full benefits.
Involves developing and utilizing computational tools to analyze and interpret biological or other research data. Utilizes and develops algorithms, computational techniques, and statistical methodologies. Helps in the design of new experiments. Implements end-user needs in database searching and integration. Maintains the computational infrastructure and tracks the flow of samples and information for large-scale studies. Provides web-based bioinformatics and access to public and proprietary databases.
Qualifications / Competencies
Bachelor's degree in biological science, computational / programming,
or related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
Experience with and demonstrated knowledge of applications
programming, web development, and data structures.
- Demonstrated understanding of database technologies.
- Interpersonal skills in order to work with both technical and
non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization,
including senior project leadership.
- Ability to communicate technical and non-technical information in a
clear and concise manner.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills.
- Programming skills in Python or similar languages.
- Working knowledge of cloud computing or distributed computing
- Working knowledge of development in and operation of Unix/Linux based
- Working knowledge of application and data security concepts.
Preferred Qualifications / Competencies
- Experience with and demonstrated knowledge of bioinformatics methods.
- Demonstrated knowledge of bioinformatics programming design,
modification, and implementation.
- Experience applying web application and data security concepts and
- Working knowledge of modern biology and applicable field of research.
Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.