The global aim of EUCANCan project is to build a network of Personalized Medicine nodes that enables and promotes the generation, exchange and sharing of harmonized and high-quality genomic and clinical data. This offer is supported by the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 825835.
With the deployment of massively parallel next-generation sequencing (NGS) technologies, the identification of variants of unknown significance (VUS) in cancer predisposing genes is expanding dramatically. Our group has worked on the classification of hereditary cancer genes VUS identified in the Spanish population, pioneering the development of functional algorithms and the refinement of gene-specific classification guidelines. There is a real need to build resources that facilitate the interpretation and classification of VUS taking into account geographical genetic specificities. Data storage and data sharing, both at the national and international level, are critical to effectively mine the huge amounts of information obtained during genetic testing.
We are seeking for a database software engineer / full-stack developer who will implement a project aimed at creating a national registry of genetic variants in cancer predisposing genes that could be useful for their interpretation. To address this issue, the candidate will be responsible for the design and development of a web-based platform, including the whole system: front-end, back-end and a relational database of genetic variants. Specific data loading subsystems will be developed for collaborator groups allowing for partial automation. Loaded variants will be annotated using a bioinformatic pipeline. The system will have a variant classification module to help data curators evaluate pathogenicity. Finally, the necessary mechanisms to push the variants to international variant databases will be implemented.
The candidate will have the opportunity to work within the Hereditary Cancer Group at IDIBELL www.idibell.cat/en/content/hereditary-cancer under the supervision of Dr. Gabriel Capellá and Conxi Lázaro.
The overarching goal of the Hereditary Cancer Group at IDIBELL is to gain insight into the molecular basis of hereditary cancer, to personalize risk assessment to patients and relatives, as well as to individualize management regarding follow-up, treatment and prophylactic measures. Our multidisciplinary group includes basic researchers, clinicians, bioinformaticians, genetic counselors in familial cancer and laboratory technicians, facilitating fully comprehensive studies, data analysis, access to the patients and samples, and the translation of the obtained results to the clinics and genetic counseling.
Successful candidates will join a dynamic, young and well-equipped research group with strong interactions and multidisciplinary research. The group offers a stimulating research atmosphere and an environment in which collaboration and exchange of ideas and techniques is actively encouraged with a strong commitment to research which provides a lively and stimulating environment for young talents.
- Education: Computer science or related degree.
- Experience: The applicant must have at least 2 years of work experience as full-stack developer (front-end, back-end, and database). Experience in multiple programming languages is also required. Knowledge or working experience about genetics and NGS pipelines will be essential.
- Languages: English proficiency.
- Technical skills: Good working knowledge of Linux. Experience dealing with sensible data and knowledge of security best practices. Fluent in R programming. Soft skills:
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, and ability to collaborate with team members.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- 3-5 years of working experience as full-stack developer.
- Working experience in Django web framework and PostgreSQL.
- Any participation in research projects, co-authorship in publications and mobility experience will be considered as a valuable contribution.
- Type of contract: Temporary (1 year)
- Workday: Full-time, 40h / week
- Working hours: Monday to Friday, flexible schedule
- Professional Category: Informatic Technician B
- Salary: According to IDIBELL salary tables
- Job location: IDIBELL laboratory, L'hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona, Spain
- Incorporation: January 1st, 2021
- Other: “This contract is supported by the National Cancer Institute of the National Institutes of Health under Award Number R01CA218342.”
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter
- Deadline for sending CVs: November 30th 2020.
More Information and contact: idibell.cat/en/ofertes-feina/full-stack-developer-to-incorporate-within-the-eucancan-project/