Mission, Vision & Values
The University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) serves students, patients, the community and the global need for discovery, knowledge
dissemination, education, creativity and the application of groundbreaking solutions. We are a
leader among comprehensive public urban research universities with academic medical centers.
We expect all employees to adhere to our shared values of Integrity, Respect, Diversity and
inclusiveness, Collaboration, Excellence and achievement, Stewardship, and Accountability.
UAB’s Vision, Mission & Shared Values can be found here:
To participate in research activities involved in the analysis of Next Generation Sequencing such
as data derived from genomics and transcriptomics (bulk and single-cell sequencing) to the
UAB Biological Data Science institutional core. To support research services such as study
design, data management, data analysis, pipeline development and to aid in the generation of
training guides and documentation. To stay abreast of recent literature and other new
developments, incorporating new techniques into existing data analysis protocols and pipelines
in support of the institutional core’s mission of high quality, reproducible computational biology
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Performs computational data analysis of transcriptomics and genomics studies.
- Designs, develops and implements software tools and analytical procedures supporting
- Participates in projects related to the core sustainability including but not limited to pipeline
development, web application development, maintenance of documentation and training guides
and other services to support the needs of UAB investigators.
- Provides computational support services such as study design, data management and data
- Offers bioinformatics consultation services to UAB investigators.
- Evaluates and identifies new technologies for implementation.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Doctorate in a related field OR Master's degree in a related field and two (2) years of related
experience OR Bachelor’s degree in related field and four (4) years of related experience OR
Associate's degree in related field and six (6) years of related experience required. Work
experience may NOT substitute for education requirements.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities
- Knowledge of the biological sciences
- Experience in computational biology analysis
- Experience in Linux and using a command-line environment
- Knowledge of scripting languages such as, Python, shell scripts, and
- Knowledge of best practices of reproducible and scalable research
such as version control (git) and environment managing systems (e.g.:
conda, Docker, Singularity)
- Proficiency in the visualization of omics data
- Experience in High Performance Computing environment is preferable
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Knowledge of theoretical and applied statistics, and molecular
biology, as demonstrated through previous work or academic experience
- Problem-solving skills
- Attentive to detail
- Organizational skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
An ideal candidate will follow best practices described to ensure reproducible and scalable
research and be proficient in the analysis of transcriptomics data (e.g.: differential expression
analysis, enrichment analysis, single-cell or nuclei data visualization and analysis, gene set
annotation and contribute to upstream data analysis through the development of pipelines). An
ideal candidate should also be familiar with managing virtual computational environments and
be familiar with high performance computing clusters.
Please Note: The duties and responsibilities described are not a comprehensive list and
additional tasks may be assigned to the employee as necessitated by business demands. This
job description does not constitute a contract of employment or otherwise limit UAB’s
employment-at-will rights at any time. Employees are expected to comply with all UAB policies
and procedures during their employment.
Birmingham, Alabama, United States