Even as India battles the Covid-19 pandemic very strongly, the real challenge lies ahead and that is to vaccinate such a huge population in a country with more than 130 crore people. Infact when the Covid-19 vaccine will arrive in India, it will be a record in itself.
The coronavirus vaccination will be the World's largest vaccination campaign ever. According to FICCI, in the first phase of vaccination process in India, three lakh people will be required to do the job and that includes one lakh trained staff and two lakh volunteers. Though the requirement is huge, India is all ready for the vaccination drive.
Already India is the largest vaccine manufacturer in the world, and its immunisation program, like the vaccination campaign is a massive affair.
Details on vaccination process
- Everyone has to download CO-WIN APP to register for the vaccine. However, the version that will be launched for the general public may be slightly different from the Health Care Workers.
- India has 27,000 Cold Chain Points, 76,000 Cold Chain Equipments, 55,000 Cold Chain Handlers and 700 Cold Vans.
- In the first phase of vaccination in India, Health Care Workers like doctors, nurses and other medical staff treating coronavirus infected patients, lab experts engaged in testing and research will be vaccinated.
- In the second phase, the vaccine will be provided to the front line workers. It will include the army, policemen, media personnel, sanitation workers.
- In the third phase, people over 50 years of age and sick people below 50 years will be vaccinated.
- The first phase of dose delivery is planned to be completed in 7 to 10 days all over the country.
- The second dose will be given 28 days after the first injection.
How prepared is India for vaccination drive?
The team of Zee Media visited the cities and villages of India to take stock of the vaccine preparations. On the basis of this report, we can say with confidence that India is only waiting for the approval of the vaccine at this time. The necessary infrastructure for the vaccine has been prepared and where there is a shortage, the need is being met.
The Co-Win APP is rapidly registering the data of those who will be vaccinated in the first phase. Access to CO-WIN APP is currently available only to those who have to carry out the vaccination campaign. In the Co-Win App, one can enter details like the name, address, mobile number and identity card of the person to get the vaccine.
However, the government has not yet launched the mobile version of the Co-win app for the general public. The desktop version is the version designed for health workers. In this, the data of those health care workers who have been vaccinated in the first phase has been uploaded. Around 16,000 people in Meerut have been included in the category of a health care worker.
In Uttar Pradesh's Meerut district, files, papers or training is going on in the government hospital for the coronavirus vaccination. The syringes that are being made have started to reach different cities in India rapidly. Meerut had indicated the need for six lakh syringes - the first consignment of two lakh syringes has just arrived.
Cold chain system, where the vaccine needs to be stored at the required temperature - two of the three vaccines awaiting approval in India can be easily stored here. The required minus 30 degrees for the Covid-19 vaccine is being maintained here. However, the required minus 70-degree storage for the Pfizer vaccine is selective in India.
Currently, three companies in India have applied to the DGCI i.e. Drug Controller for emergency approval of their vaccine. It is expected that soon after approval, vaccination will start in India by early 2021. Along with the preparations of the government and administration, the primary health centres of the villages also need a little speed up, as the country is eagerly waiting for the vaccine.