The following steps focus on getting into the tripod position while seated.
- First, make sure you are in a safe location. If you are short of breath, it can be easy to lose consciousness or fall.
- Choose a sturdy chair and get seated in a comfortable position.
- Lean forward, using your arms and elbows as support.
- Try to achieve an angle of about 45 degrees as you lean forward.
- You can rely on your arms or use a table top or pillow to help you hold this position.
- Take slow and steady breaths, focusing on using your belly (diaphragm) to breath.
- You may also use breathing techniques like pursed lip breathing to help reduce shortness of breath.