By: Mariam Elhamy
Whenever we face a lot of stressful situations our body starts reacting to it in a way that affects us both mentally and physically and it starts to take a toll on us. Breathing is one of the best and fastest ways to calm yourself and allow oxygen to flow in your body. These following few breathing exercises will help you calm your mind whenever you feel anxious or if you start having a panic attack.
Breathing from your stomach:
- Gently and slowly inhale through your nose, filling only your lower lungs. Notice your stomach expanding higher than your chest.
- Exhale easily.
- Continue this gentle breathing pattern, concentrating on filling only the lower lungs.
- Take a long, slow breath through your nose, first filling your lower lungs, then your upper lungs.
- Hold your breath and count to 3.
- Exhale slowly through slightly pursed lips, while you relax the muscles in your face, jaw, shoulders, and stomach.
- Repeat this exercise until you feel completely relaxed.
- Sit comfortably. breathing exercises
- Take a long, deep breath and exhale it slowly while saying the word “relax” silently.
- Close your eyes.
- Let yourself take ten natural, easy breaths. Count down with each exhale, starting with 10.
- This time, while you are breathing comfortably, notice any tensions in your jaw or forehead or stomach. Imagine those tensions loosening.
- When you reach the number 1 open your eyes again.
Tip: Do not breathe really quick short breaths because then you’ll end up hyperventilating. Always make sure that you inhale and exhale slowly and take long breaths. .
Also check out Safeguarding against Coronavirus